Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Autistic Boyfriend

I was enjoying the morning sunshine by reading my novel at the park. I sat on the bench. It was Sunday and the park was crowded, they were so many families hanging out just for a picnic, while their kids were running around and playing at the playground.

While i was reading, a little boy was running in front of me. Then suddenly he tripped and fell down. I spontaneously got up and helped the little boy.
"omo~ are you okay, kid?" I asked.
"Ne, gwenchana. Gomawo unnie~~!"
The cute little boy smiled and ran back to his parents. I smiled and went back to the bench when.. wait.. where's my book?

I'm sure I left it on the bench when i tried to help the boy. Why is it gone? Where did it go? Oh jebal, a book can't walk. Then somebody must took it.
I decided to walk around the bench, and looked under the bench, just in case the book fell. But.. i found nothing.

In the end i decided to go home. When i was walking down the path out of the park, i saw this pretty boy - he looks older than me though - reading a book under a tree. He was leaning on the tree while looking at the book upside down. His face looked confused. He flipped the book several times and still looked confused. I just smirked and was about to continue walking. I made a few steps and then i stopped.

Hey.. isn't that pretty boy reading my novel?

I walked towards the pretty boy and then greeted him.
"annyeong haseyo~ uhm.. mian, i think you are reading my book, can you please give it back?"
the pretty boy lift his head up and glared at me. he didn't answer.
"Hello~ ? that's my book, can i have it back?"
then he stood up, i thought he was going to return my book when suddenly he grabbed my hand.

"You're my girlfriend!"

I startled. What? me? girlfriend? his?
He smiled while still holding my right hand in his left, and my book in his right.

"Aish~ i'm sorry you surely got the wrong person, i was just going to get my book back."

I reached out my hands to take grip of the book, but he pulled the book away.
"No ! You're my girlfriend !" he said, while hiding the book behind his back.
I rolled my eyes.
"No, I'm not. Now give me my book and find your real girlfriend!"
I ran out of patience, i snatched the book from his hands, and pulled my hands off his grip. When i started to walk away, he suddenly cried and shouted,
"Aniyaaaaa~ you're my girlfiend! Beorijima..aaaa~ !"

People who were walking by the path started to pay attention at us, they were giving a what-did-you-do-to-the-pretty-boy eye looks to me. Damn, now they think i have done something bad.

"Aaa~ gaji maraaa~"
The pretty boy kept shouting and crying. Now people are staring at me and whispering to each other. I tried to make people calm down, i shook my head, cross my hands to say "No, it wasn't me." But the pretty boy kept crying and people weren't leaving.

"akh~ okay okay I'm your girlfriend ! May i have my book back?" I asked.
The pretty boy stopped crying. He smiled and gave my book back. I was relieved.
"aigoo~ thank you ! Now i'll take my leave.."
Just as i was going to leave, he grabbed my hand again. I turned my back and saw him smiling sweetly.
"You're my girlfriend." he said. Giving the most sweet smile that i even felt envious of his beauty.

Oh God, what else is happening? This boy is kinda weird..

His grip were so firm that i can't even shake my hands off. Then he started to drag me to somewhere.
"No, no no wait.. stop!"
He stopped as i told him to, but he didn't let go of me. He turned and looked through my eyes.
"At least tell me your name?" I asked.
He smiled, "Choi Jonghun."
"Ah.. Jonghun.." I nod my head.
"and you?" he asked back, I was kinda surprised that he actually asked back.
"uhm.." I was kinda confused how to answer him,
"Song Sun Hee, ne?" he asked.
Whoa~ he knows my name, "How did you know?"
He smiled again and pointed on the first page on my book. There was my name on it.
Then he said, "Sunhee-ah, let's go!"
"Go? go where?" i whispered to myself while letting him drag me all the way to where he wanted to go.
I don't know, there is this something that makes me feel okay being held by him, even that i just knew him.

I kept walking and following him behind as he led me to a bench at the center of the park. There, i saw a fair lady sitting on the bench.
"Umma-nie !"
the pretty boy shouted and waved to his mother while running towards her, but still holding my hands so i was having a hard time following him running, i even tripped and hurt my legs since i was wearing heels. Damn.
"Umma, this is my girlfriend!"
Jonghun suddenly had his hands over my shoulders.
"ah~" His mom had this i'm-so-sorry face to me. I just smiled and whispered "gwenchana."

~~~~~

"Thank you auntie~~"
I thanked Jonghun's mom as she finished taking care of my foot. When Jonghun dragged me while running, my left foot hit a rock and it caused my toe to bleed. Luckily auntie realized it quick and told me to visit her house. Jonghun was clapping happily when he knew i was coming over.

"You're welcome, dear Sunhee. I'm sorry about my son." she said.
"Oh it's okay, auntie. Really, ^^"
Jonghun's mom took a deep breath, then said,
"I think i must tell you about this."
I got curious, "about what auntie?"
She looked around to make sure that Jonghun is not around and still in his room.
"Jonghun. he.. do you realize that he's acts are sort of absurd? i mean, he acts not suitable with his age." she said.
Man, i was about to ask that but auntie said it first. Phew~~.
"Uhm, you mean.. acting like a 5 year old boy, reading a book upside down, and running around vigorously?"
Auntie chuckled.
"Yes, that."
I smiled, "ah mianhae auntie. i didn't mean to.. i mean.. yes i realize his weird acts. what about it?"
"Jonghun.. is suffering from autism."

My smile faded away as i heard that word.
"Autism?" i asked.
"Yes, Sunhee. The doctor verdicted that Jonghun was autistic since he was five years old. He said that we gave him lack of attention and often took care of his big brother, Choi Seung Hyun. We didn't know that he would turn out autistic until now."
I made a sad face, "I'm sorry, auntie."
Auntie smiled, "gwenchana.."
I wanted to know more so I asked, "and where is Seung Hyun oppa now?"
"He's busy taking college at U.S, probably won't be back for another few years. Jonghun feels lonely since he was a little boy. My husband runs a company in Japan, so he seldom comes back to Korea. And me myself, I'm a teacher at an elementary school. I think that's why Jonghun can't get rid of his autism, he always feel lonely."

I took a sip of my cup of tea.
"if that's the problem, it would be my pleasure to help you take care of him, well.. that's also if you don't mind." I said.
Auntie smiled, "really Sunhee?"
"Ne, auntie ^^"
Auntie raised from her seat and walked towards me, she gave me a hug and thanked me so much. I just smiled and hugged her back.
"do you want to take a look at Jonghun? he is in his room?"
I acted clumsy.
"Uh? me? his room? uh.. why?" I asked,
auntie just smiled,
"since he consider you as his girlfriend, then you must visit him often. as you promised ^^"

Hey did i actually made a promise?

So, i walked upstairs, without auntie following me behind. She told me Jonghun's room was the one with J stickers on the door. I walked up to the door she meant and was about to knock, when suddenly i heard guitar melodies and a singing voice from inside.

"I know from first sight. I know from first sight.
Your lost other half
tied to you by string of fate
I know from first sight. I know from first sight.
A fated love is like this.
I know everything from first sight.
I guess I love her. I guess I love her.
I think about her all day
and talk about her.
I guess I love her. I guess I love her.
From the first moment I met her, I guess I love her.
I know love at first sight.
It's like sweet ice cream.
When two eyes meet, your entire body melt down."


the door slowly opened coz i was leaning on it. It made a soft "creak" sound, and Jonghun turned to see who was at the door.

"nae yeojachingu!"

he greeted me that way, still holding the guitar and sitting on his bed facing the window. It was a fine acoustic guitar, simple but it looks damn expensive. But i was still curious about the song he just sang. I walked inside and asked if i could sit beside him.
"may I?" I asked. He just smiled, so i sat down.
"Uhm.. i heard you playing guitar from outside." I said.
"Really?" he asked. His face turned into a enthusiastic puppy face. And for a second he looks normal to me.
I smiled, "what's the title of the song?"
"Cheotnune ara, I knew from first sight."
I made an amazed face, "Whoa, you made it by yourself?"
He picked a few strings of his guitar, making a sweet melody.
"Jonghunnie?" I asked, noticing he didn't answer me.
"ne?"
"you made it by yourself? the song?" I asked again.
"ne. when you were downstairs with my umma. i made it."

my eyes went big. that fast? he made the lyrics and the melody that fast?

"Sunhee-ah~"
"Yes?"
"The song is for you. nae yeojachingu!"

He smiled sweetly. I smiled back. I found out one thing. autistic people have abilities that normal people can't do. and for Jonghun, it's about music.

~~~~~

So, here goes my days as Jonghun's girlfriend. I spent my days trying to grow more love on him, so he really consider me as his girlfriend. It's really hard to try to love someone you just know, especially when he's like Jonghun.

Date 1
We rode a tandem bicycle, but ehm.. i was the one in the front so yeah.. i paddled the whole way through the park while Jonghun kept stretching his arms and saying "I'm flying, I'm flying!"
I took a picture of him though, while he was behind me. Haha~


Date 2
we traveled the city. he kept holding my hands, i held him firmly so we won't get separated. when we were passing the dessert cafe, he pulled my shirt.

"Sunhee-ah"
"Ne?"
"i want.." he pointed to the cafe.
I smiled and dragged him into the cafe.
"What do you want?" I asked.
His eyes traveled around the cafe. "cupcake.." he answered.
So then i walked to the cashier and ordered cupcake for him, and cold crepes for me. I was still holding his hands though, you know, letting go of him will make me travel around the city for hours. Looking for him.

"Here you go~" I passed the cupcake to him, then we got a table and sat down. He was eating his cupcake very happily. I chose a smiley cupcake for him so it will match his mood ^^. Then suddenly..
"Sunhee-ah ! what's that??"
he pointed to somewhere outside the cafe, i turned my head to see what is it.
Nothing.
when i turned my head back i saw Jonghun chewing on a bite of my crepes.
"Did you just..?"
He smiled while licking his fingers.


Date 3
we just stayed at home. his home. Auntie was away teaching, so i was told to stay at home to take care of the house AND Jonghun.

i was sitting on the sofa reading my novel in his room, facing the window. It was 9am so the sunshine felt so bright. i opened the window so the breeze could come in.
Jonghun was playing with his guitar. Sometimes he asked me to sing along. Then he got tired and put his head on my lap then he laid down.

I was surprised in the beginning, even i forgot which page i was reading when suddenly i found his head on my laps.
"You're sleepy?" I asked.
He didn't answer. He reached for an orange which was in a bowl of fruits beside the sofa. He peeled it and started eating.
Whoa the orange fragrance was so temptating. I couldn't concentrate on my novel anymore.
Surprisingly, he realized i was staring at his orange.
"You want some?" he asked. Then he fed me a piece of orange to my mouth.
"Haha gomawo~" I said. Then i continued to read while chewing.
He also kept eating and feeding me. I always opened my mouth to get what he feeds me but then..
"ahahaha ! the peel ! hahaha"
Jonghun burst out laughing. Then i felt something bitter in my mouth.

Seems that Jonghun fed me the orange peel, and i didn't noticed. Hahaha. So i just spit it out and threw it to the rubbish bin. Then i brushed his hair. He seemed so cheerful.

Date 4
I decided to take him to the beach to watch the sunset. Our trip took hours for us to arrive at the beach.
when we arrived, it was still 2pm, and i took pictures of Jonghun playing in the waves. as usual, he looked so happy.


we played at the beach until it was 5.30 pm, the sun was beginning to set, so i called Jonghun to sit and watch.
i leaned to a soft rock. Jonghun came walking towards me and sat down beside me. then he leaned his head on my right shoulder. I kept silent knowing that he wouldn't answer if i asked anything.

we enjoyed the sunset in silence. i looked at the pictures i took with my digicam. there was plenty of Jonghun's pictures. he kept still leaning on my shoulder. i took a deep breath and finally realized.

damn~ i fell in love with this pretty boy. the pretty boy who took my novel. the pretty boy who considers me as his girlfriend. the pretty boy who is.. autistic.

i turned off my digicam. i looked at him, his eyes were closed but i wasn't sure that he was sleeping. i slowly moved my face close to his, and i kissed him softly on his lips. suddenly his eyes opened. he blinked several times. i laughed softly and asked,
"you okay?"

"what was that?" he asked.
I was pretty sure he was asking about the kiss.
"oh, that's called.. a kiss"
"kisseu?"
"it's some way to express love to someone." I explained, also blushing at the same time.
"so do you mean you love me?" he asked.
"ne, saranghae ^^"

he smiled and touched his own lips.
"how does it feel?" i asked.
"wet.." he said, straightforward.

i burst out laughing while he looked confused so i ran my fingers through his hair.

Date 5
auntie told me that she had consulted with a doctor, and the doctor said that Jonghun could recover from his autism, if he does a routine therapy.
so auntie told me to go to the hospital with him, auntie herself didn't want to go. she said she had class, and she already trusts me.

so, i begged Jonghun to go to the hospital. i said that i had to do a check up.
"Sunhee-ah are you sick?" he asked while putting his hands on my forehead.
I didn't answer.

when we arrived at the hospital, i went to the receptionist desk. we were told to wait at the seats. not long after that, a doctor came with two nurses beside him. the nurses then helped Jonghun to stand up, and the slowly dragged him to the therapy room. Jonghun tried to struggle.

"No ! no where are you taking me ! Sunhee-ah help me !"

I stayed where I was. It's okay, i said to myself. Only a few therapies and Jonghun will be okay. He will be okay.

"Sunhee-ah !"

I looked at him but i didn't answer. I started to cry.

"Sunhee-ah ! neon nappeun yeojaya !"

Those three last words banged me on the head. I cried heavily while Jonghun was being dragged inside the therapy room.

"mianhae~" i whispered to myself.

~~~~~

3 years later..

i was staring at myself in the mirror. i was covered in a white long wedding gown. soft make up has been applied to my face.
auntie then walked towards me, and joined to look at my reflection in the mirror, while holding both of my shoulders.

"You look so beautiful, Sunhee."
"auntie.. you're to kind.."
"No really, you do look beautiful. I want to thank you so much. Because of you, Jonghun has fully recovered from his autism. He's normal now. and you're his bride. you should be proud of it."

I was almost going to shed tears if auntie didn't lend me a tissue quickly. It will definitely ruin my make up if i cried.

"Don't cry, dear. You should be happy."
"I am, auntie. These are tears of happiness. Hehe~ ^^"
auntie pat my shoulders.
"Okay get ready. You'll be out in few minutes.."
"Yes auntie."

Auntie walked to the door, then she turned again, "oh one more thing."
"yes?"
"call me umma from now on."

I smiled as i watched her walking outside. it is time, i whispered to myself.

I walked outside the dressing room, towards the hall. When the door opened, i heard the wedding theme being played on the piano. I walked towards the aisle, and i saw my pretty boy there, dressed in black, standing with full charisma.

when i arrived beside him, he looked at me and gave the smile he always had 3 years ago.

"do you, Choi Jonghun, accept Song Sunhee as your wife, love and respect each other until death do you apart?"
Jonghun looked into my eyes. "I do." he said.
"and do you, Song Sunhee, accept Choi Jonghun as your husband, love and respect each other until death do you apart?"
"I do."

"And now, Mr. and Mrs. Choi, i announce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Jonghun turned to me. He smiled and gently held my neck, and touched his lips to mine. Then he asked a question that i will never forget.
"How does it feel?"
"Wet?" I answered.
we both laughed softly, Jonghun whispered "saranghae" to my ears, then we walked down the aisle with flower petals being thrown all over us.

There are two things that i'm very sure about on our wedding day.
first, i felt so happy, proud, and lucky that day. i was so relieved that Jonghun can become normal, which was beyond my expectations.
second and last, i'm very very very sure.. that i would miss my autistic boyfriend.

~THE END~

0 comments:

Post a Comment