Saturday, August 8, 2009

One Shot

"Yo, Solandres ! We got a briefing, seems like we have a new guy."
Max's voice shocked me. I was daydreaming on the top of my bunk bed when he called me.
I crawled down and walked slowly to the door, then Max walked with me to the assembly hall.

"New guy?", I asked to him.
"Yeah. I heard that he's from South Korea."

South Korea? Dang~ Must be one of those cute type actors or singers who signed in to military. But why is he transported here?

We were near the assembly hall when somebody called me,
"Isabelle !"
I turned my back and saw Peter running towards us.
"Stop calling me with that girlish name."
Peter chuckled. "Well, General Smith gave that 'stage' name for you. And i prefer to call you Isabelle then Solandres. You know, Isabelle Solandres sounds a little too.."
I looked sarcasticly at Peter.
"Never mind. Let's go check out the newbie."
Peter walked through Max and me. We followed him inside the assembly hall. Other agents were already gathering in there. Max, Peter and me walked through the crowd and stand at the front row. The three of us are besties in this secret organization. We always become curious everytime there's a new agent that will be working with us.

"Agents, today we have a transported newbie from South Korea. He will be working with us from now on. This gentleman is well known for his awesome abilities and shooting skills. He once worked for the Korean military for one year, until our organization pulled him in. Agent Kim, please introduce yourself."
I was trying to look at that Korean guy but the 'MC' covered him. Peter and Max are just talking way beyond the reason we are gathering here. I just kept looking behind the MC until finally that newbie showed himself..

"Annyeong haseyo~ ah. I mean, good afternoon all. My name is Kim Jong Hyun. As you all know, I'm recruited to work here, I'm from South Korea. I usually was a recruit for Korean military. It's an honor for me to work here with all you guys. I hope we can cooperate together. Thank you."

Ah~ Kim Jong Hyun. He looks kinda pretty for a guy. His black hair with bangs are just too cute for an agent. But his arms look tough. I wonder if he works well.

I saw him bowing after his short speech. Then his eyes travelled around the hall, seems like his looking to all of our agents which mostly are western people. There's just a few asians. I was paying too much attention to him when suddenly his eyes met mine. He stopped looking around and just looked at me. Maybe it's a bit odd for him to find a girl in this kind of organization. I was kinda bothered so I talked to Max and Peter. Then I didn't know where he was looking at again.

When we were about to go back to our rooms, my boss called me to go to his office. I told Max and Peter to go and I'll catch up later. So i instantly went to General Smith's office. As i arrived there, i saw this guy sitting in front of General Smith. I can only see his back. I felt that i could recognize him from his hair. But then i ignored my thoughts and obeyed as Smith told me to sit down next to the guy.

"Isabelle..", said Smith.
I interrupted and said, "Ehem, I prefer Solandres, Sir."
Smith just gave a wise smile, then he continued his speech,
"Solandres, just let me get to the point. You will work with this guy beside you from now on. You two are considered as partners."
Before i looked at the guy who was gonna be my partner, i refused and said,
"General, did you remember that i always work alone? I don't accept partners and I.."
Smith cut my speech,
"Solandres, having a partner is a must in our organization. Even Michelle, your former room mate, already has a partner too."
"You mean Max? Of course, Sir. Michelle and Max are great as a partner. But me, Sir. I don't get well with partners, I.."
"Solandres ! Why don't you just intoduce yourself to your new partner?!"
Smith was nearly angry when i kept refusing for a partner. I finally looked to my right and saw the newbie who as at the hall just then.
"Hi, I'm Kim Jong Hyun, you can call me Jong Hyun."

I startled and unconciously adored his eyes. As i thought, his face was too cute for an agent. His eyes showed something that makes me.. amazed. Overall, he looks pretty to me.
But i kept showing the 'stay cool' act. When he strecthed his hands, i held it firmly and we shaked hands. He was wearing short sleeved shirt so i can see his muscles as he grabbed my hand. Quite strong for a cute guy.

"Solandres. Isabelle Solandres.", I spoke my name in doubt, hoping he will not tease me with that freaking Italianish name that Smith gave to me.
I can see that his eyebrows rised a bit, then he said
"Isabelle? What a beautiful name.."
I can see Smith smiling unreasonably, somewhat like teasing me. I just gave a sharp look to Jong Hyun, then i made a forced smile.

"One more thing, Solandres. You have to share your room with him."
Smith's voice kinda scared me.
"What?! I mean, Sir.. I don't think it's a good idea for me sharing my room with..", I looked at him and he just gave an innocent look, "... him."
Smith just smiled.

~~~~~

"So how did you end up being an agent here? Where do you come from?"
My new partner kept asking me questions, but i wasn't annoyed at all.
"I.. signed up myself to this organization. And from where i come from, i'm afraid i can't tell you specificly. I'm actually Asian, like you."
Jong Hyun made this wow face, like he was amazed or something.
"You're Asian, but your eyes..." he hung up his speech.
I looked to the mirror beside my bed, then i answered,
"This?" I pointed to my eyes, "..it's blue because i actually had an surgical operation for my eyes. My eyes once suffered from miopi. I knew i couldn't get into any organization with bad eyes like mine. So i had the surgery. I don't know why my eyes then changed to blue. The doctor said it was an effect from the surgery. And until now I still can't believe it."
I stared at my own eyes in the mirror, Jong Hyun just smiled.
"It's.. beautiful." he said.
"I'm sorry, i don't like that word." I said, spontaneously.
Jong Hyun's face suddenly went guilty, "Aish~ mianhae.."
I made a frown, "Mi..anhae?"
"It means 'I'm Sorry' in Korean.."
I just made an 'oh' face and get tidy of my stuff.
"You said you're abilities in shooting are like.. awesome?"
Jong Hyun scratched his head shyly. He just nod.
"Well.. let's give it a try."
I walked to the door and gave a sign for him to follow me.
We went to the practice room, i led him to the shooting section. And yes, his shooting skills were fabulous. It's so hard to believe that, a pretty looking guy at him has an ability that even normal agents don't have. Impressive.

~~~~~

"So this Jong Hyun, really has skills for aiming and shooting?"
Michelle kept asking me about my new partner. I just nod to every single question she asked.
Michelle is my best friend, she's 3 years old younger than me. She listens to everything i say. I consider her as my little sister, she even taught me how to write a diary.. which i haven't tried yet cause i hate being girly.
Michelle belongs to the same country as me. She signed up as an agent, cause she was looking for me when i ran out from my country. I had this.. simple but major problem that made me feel insane so i had to get my shooting skills out. That's why i had enough guts to sign in here, in SIO. We are the only two women agents in SIO, oh and also Smith's wife, Georgia. She's like a senior agent to us.

I was shocked when i saw Michelle as a newbie. And i was amazed when i found out she had almost the same skills as me, except, she runs faster. I was almost eliminated when Smith found out that i had asthma, but I insisted and showed the best of my shooting skills. I was labelled as the greatest shooter in SIO, thanks to the surgery. Until this Jong Hyun came..

"Belle~ ! Isabelle !"
Michelle popped into my thoughts,
"Why do you keep calling me with that Italian name?", I asked.
"Because it suits you much, hahahaha~", Michelle burst out laughing. I rolled my eyes.
Smith also gave Michelle her name. I don't know, it's like Smith has this weird obsession of naming girls with Italian name. I don't even know whether it is Italian or Spanish or.. forget it.

Suddenly i saw three guys walking towards our table. They were bringing their lunch tray with them, and it seems like they want to join my table and Michelle.
"Yo, Isabelle~ !" waved Peter.
"Solandres !", I shouted at him, the other two guys laughed.
"May i join you guys?" asked Jong Hyun, politely. I was about to answer when Michelle spoke first, "Oh, of course ! Take a seat.". Michelle pointed to the empty chair beside me.
Max sat beside Michelle, and Peter sat beside Max. We had a great lunch while Jong Hyun was telling much about himself. And I.. felt something frizzy about him.

~~~~~

It was our first mafia trial. All the named agents were called to assemble at the field. We were about to start a simulation of taking down a world class group of mafias. For Jong Hyun, this was his first trial.
"So, since we're partners, what do we have to do?" he asked.
I walked fastly heading to the gun station, he was following me on my back.
"What do you think?" i asked back.
"Protect each other?" he asked again. I stopped and turned around. He made a scared face like as if i was going to hit him, then i said..
"There. You know it already. Come on let's load our guns."
knew Jong Hyun was smiling behind my back.

The simulation started. We were divided into teams, each contains 4 agents. My team was Max, Michelle, Jong Hyun and me. Michelle and Max are like.. inseparable. Max is from Korea too, so he mingled well with Jong Hyun. And Michelle, she just has this feelings for Korean guys. That's why she made a great partner for Max. Oh and i was wondering when will Jong Hyun have his western name. Or Italian?

We decided to divide our group again into two parts. I went with Jong Hyun, well, he's my partner afterall. We were able to take down a few enemies. The bullet was made of paintball, as usual. In the simulation, it seems that i dominated it. Jong Hyun was more like just following me. I felt a little arogant and had y pride at the top when suddenly Jong Hyun dragged me back and pushed me to wall. I was about to freak out but he covered my mouth. We both kept still for a few second when finally Jong Hyun looked out from the wall and shoot 3 or 4 enemies with one hand, his right hand was still covering my mouth. It was cool, honestly.

at the end of the simulation, we all gathered and had a review.
"You shouldn't have pushed me back to the wall like that." i said to Jong Hyun.
"are you crazy? you could have been shot down if i didn't pull you back." he said.
"But covering my mouth?"
"Because you were gonna freak out~ ! I knew it, Isabelle, don't lie."
"Solandres~ !"
I still felt uncomfy if there was any other person who calls me Isabelle, except Michelle and Peter. But Jong Hyun kept insisting calling me Isabelle.
"It's my mouth and it's me who decides what to call you. You're my partner afterall."

~~~~~

5 months went by. My partnership with Jong Hyun became more solid in many ways. Loyalty, trustworthy, solidarity, everything. Oh, and Smith gave Jong Hyun a western name : John. It makes me wanna laugh everytime i hear it, so i kept calling him Jong Hyun, while he kept calling me Isabelle. I found out almost everything about him, his life stories, his families, his country. But unfortunately, i wasn't willing to tell my story. I just told him that my story wasn't as interesting as his. Lucky he didn't forced me to tell it.

And in the last 2 months, i felt something different.

~~~~~

"All agents should assemble at the entrance hall immediatly. Repeat, all agents must assemble at the entrance hall immediatly, this is not a simulation, i repeat, NOT A SIMULATION~"
The voice from the speaker shocked me. I was cleaning my AK-47 and Jong Hyun was playing with his when we both heard it. I gave him an almost scared look, and we both put on our suits. I finished first, i put on my bulletproof-ed vest and ran to the door, i told Jong Hyun to catch up.

We all gathered at the entrance hall. I saw dozens of black trucks, two black jets and one black toyota camry. Michelle, Peter and Max were there too. We were given instructions that we were about to take down a group of world class mafia, just like our simulation before. The location was actually abroad, so the dozenz of trucks will be shifted to SIO's secret jets, and will be dropped at the mafia's country.

I haven't took down a group of mafias before. The hardest situation i got was when SIO had to evacuate victims from a robbery, a huge robbery in a bank. I took down 2 bad guys and since then i was given a reward for the best sniper/shooter. But this? Mafia? I don't know, i just get the nerves. When i was trying my best to hide my body from shaking, Jong Hyun who was beside me, suddenly reached for my hands and held it so firmly. His hands were warm.

"We're gonna do this awesomely. You, me. The best snipers. Come on get rid of your nerves."

I didn't look at him. I just kept listening to his voice. Every word he says, seem to make me feel more calm. I let my hands in his until our boss told us to get into each our trucks. I let go of him but he still walked beside me. Smith suddenly stopped and stood in our way, he said that Jong Hyun and I were supposed to get into the private jet. The two black ones that i saw. Smith said the jets were for the best agents. I thanked him and gave him a quick hug, so did Jong Hyun. Then we hopped on to SIO's special secret jet.

In the jet, no one was talking. Even Jong Hyun didn't say a word. I bet he was nervous to, but he was able to hide it. The pilot, co pilot, and 3 other agents discussed about our mission. Jong Hyun and I blend in to the discussion, we were given code names. Jong Hyun was agent 8 and i was agent 13. Our flight was short, the jet was extremely fast. We have arrived to the mafia's nest.

Agent 1, who was the leader of my team, split our team into a few parts again, i was with Jong Hyun (again). We were situated in an empty but wide building, seems like an empty factory. Smith assumed that this empty factory was the mafia's basecamp. We began to sneak inside.

Michelle, Max, and Peter were the outring team, they were the ones who have to guard outside tha factory. I met Michelle and she wasn't wearing any bulletproof vest. I gave mine to her, hoping that i will be fine. Jong Hyun didn't allowed me at the first time, but then he let me. I don't know why.

Our mission went fast, i could hardly remember anything, the mafias popped out from nowhere and it started a gun fight with our agents. I split up with Jong Hyun for a while and i was on my own. I took down like.. 4 to 5 guys while hiding behind these big drums of oil. It was empty, actually. The room was dark, because we attacked at dawn. I was sneaking quickly when i bumped into someone, i reached for my gun and put it on his head when he actually spoke and said..
"Sssht~ Isabelle, it's me."
Jong Hyun nearly scared the hell out of me. He put his point finger in front of his mouth, signaling me to be quiet. We sneaked as quiet as we can, while giving codes to other agents near us. Suddenly this one freaky mafia popped out and shoot everywhere furiously. Agent 1 had to come out and handle that freaky guy. I couldn't just stand there and watch, i ran towards agent 1 and helped him shoot the guy. Jong Hyun followed me behind and covered my back.

Jong Hyun, agent 1 and me shoot every mafia who was coming near and threatening. I remember this scene where Jong Hyun was surrounded by three mafias, agent 1 slide to Jong Hyun's leg and shoot the mafia on Jong Hyun's left, while i did an unexpected kartwheel, kicked the mafia on Jong Hyun's right and shot him, and Jong Hyun simply shot the guy in front of him, then the three of us said, "Damn, we're good~"

As we thought that our room was clear, agent 1 told us to move on. He walked in front of us and I just followed him. Jong Hyun was busy taking care of his gun when suddenly i heard a big bang behind me. I turned my back.

Then i saw Jong Hyun falling to the floor.

I ran to him and held him so he didn't hit the floor, my left hand was holding his head while my right hand was around his waist. I felt something wet. i lifted my right hand and even though it's dark, i could see that my hand was covered in blood. Jong Hyun's blood.

"oh.. shit.. Jong Hyun~ ! Jong Hyun are you okay?"
Jong Hyun didn't answer me, he grinned in pain.
"Jong Hyun, answer me !"
I moved my hands around his body, and i realized that he wasn't wearing his bulletproof vest.
I turned angry, "Where the hell is your vest?"
"I.. I left it.. i couldn't find it when we were.. about to.. assemble.."
Jong Hyun was breathing hardly, he was panting. Blood kept running from his waist.
I started to feel that my eyes were wet. No, I'm not crying.
"Jong Hyun stay with me okay. We've done great, we're awesome, come on get up!"
Jong Hyun still grinned in pain, i couldn't bear seeing him like that.
Then, he lifted his left hand very weakly. He caressed my cheek and i could tell that my cheek was instantly covered with his blood. I didn't care.
"Isabelle, or.. whoever your real name is.. when.. if i'm.. not able to make this out.. i just want you to know.. that.."
My eyes were getting more wet, "Shut up~ ! Don't say a thing, because if you do.."
"Sssht.." Jong Hyun put his finger on my lips, "Let me finish.. my.. sentence.."
At that exact time, i felt tears running down my face. It was my first time to cry ever since i entered SIO. Jong Hyun looked at me deep in my eyes,
"Belle~.. You are the greatest sniper that i have known.. you are my influence for being confident.. in.. every.. simulation.."
Jong Hyun's voice became more weak. My tears fell down so fast.
"The.. last.. 5.. months.. have been special to me coz.."
I moved my right hand from his waist to his cheek. I held it just the exact way he held mine. Then he said this sentence that i clearly don't understand, but deep inside i know the meaning.
"Isabelle.. sarang~hae.."
I could feel that his hands on my cheek slowly dropped. His eyes which was looking deep into mine slowly closed. I screamed out.
"No~ ! NO.. Jong Hyun you can't leave me like this, Jong Hyun wake up! Jong Hyun!"
I shaked his body with my hands, which was useless because he didn't move at all. Then i heard steps running towards me. Agent 1 and his partner saw me and gave a code to other agents.

"Sector 3 this is agent 1. Man down, i repeat man down on sector 3."

My tears kept falling on Jong Hyun's face, i kept shouting at him to wake up.
"Agent 13, we have to move." said Agent 1 to me.
"Can't you see that my partner is down?!" I almost shrieked at him when i was saying that.
Agent 1 came near me and pulled my arm, i refused and kept helding Jong Hyun in my arms. Suddenly agent 1 shouted watch out and i heard another big bang, this time it sounds like two guns being shot at the same time.

I saw this other mafia guy falling down to the floor on my right. Agent 1 shot him. But i felt pain too. Held my upper waist and found blood running out of it. Agent 1 was still covering me and Jong Hyun from other mafias. I felt dizzy. I felt weak. And that time i found out that.. my past 5 months was so precious. I let go of Jong Hyun slowly. I still sat beside him, i was holding my upper waist with my left hand. I slowly leant down to the floor. My right hand reached out for Jong Hyun's cheek..
I found out that.. he was my life. He was the best thing that happened to my life. He was my everything. And i would do anything to meet him again.
I caressed his cheek with all the strength that i have, i was laying on the floor next to him, his face was in front of mine. Then i whispered..

"Jong Hyun.. saranghae, mianhae.."

My visions went blur. I could see agent 1 running back to me but then..
It all went black.

~~~~~

* Michelle's POV *

I cried so badly with Max by my side. As well as Peter, and 4 Korean guys who were Jong Hyun's best friends. Those korean guys all had red eyes, it seems that they are trying to hide their tears.
General Smith, Georgia, Agent 1 and all other agents had already went back to SIO after Jong Hyun and Isabelle's funeral.
I looked at the name carved on the gravestone.

R.I.P

SIO's best snipers

Kim Jong Hyun
and
Isabelle Solandres

I couldn't believe that Belle gave her bulletproof vest to me. If she didn't, all of this wouldn't have happened. Max kept hugging me, while i hugged a small pink hardcovered book.

Isabelle's diary.

She actually wrote a diary when i told her to. One of Jong Hyun's best friend came up to me and asked about it. I opened the diary, and read it out loud.

"January 15th. Today is awesome. Well, not awesome in an 'awe' way. It's just cool. We had a newbie again and he is a transported agent from Korea. Cool~ new guys are just fun. I hope we could be good accquaintance with him. Kim Jong Hyun's the name.

January 17th. Get it real. How come Smith commanded me to share my room with that pretty newbie? I don't share rooms. It's MY room, for goodness sake. Argh~

January 23rd. This Jong Hyun is driving me crazy. He asks me everthing that i can't even answer. And his skills are killing me! Now i have a new rival to get the best sniper title."

I skipped a few pages and went to the part during 5 months ago, where Jong Hyun and Isabelle's relationship are getting better...

"March 9th. Something weird is happening to me. Everytime Jong Hyun calls me Isabelle, i don't get pissed off. Usually when Peter, even Michelle called me Isabelle, i keep forcing them to call me Solandres. Why am I being fine if it's.. Jong Hyun?"

I stopped reading and looked at all Jong Hyun's best friends. Then i continued reading, this time i read it in my heart but i saw this writing that makes me want to read it loud.

"June 29th. Smith says that our mission to take down the world class mafia will be held in no time. Could be days, could be weeks. But I'm absolutely ready. Jong Hyun is confident too. I promised myself that.. if we all make it out in that mission, I will tell Jong Hyun. I will tell him, that i love him.."

I stopped reading and burst out into tears. Max kept helding me and patting my head. I couldn't bear to read more. I closed Isabelle's diary and lend it to Key, one of Jong Hyun's best friend.
"Please take care of it.. for Jong Hyun and Isabelle~"
Key nod, and i can see tears falling of as well from his eyes, so as the other 3 guys.
The 4 besties of Jong Hyun then went back home before me, Peter and Max. I waved goodbye and watched them go.

I took the white orchid that Peter was holding for me, i walked to the gravestone and whispered...
"I hope you two will meet.. there~.. Goodbye Unnie, I will miss you so much.."
I kept crying, and i put the bouquet of flowers in front of the gravestone.
Then, I went back to SIO with Max and Peter,
We promised that we will be the next best snipers..
In order to honor Jong Hyun and Isabelle's passings.

~The End~

0 comments:

Post a Comment